- US House Representative (R-CA)
- Con to the question "Should the Government Allow Immigrants Who Are Here Illegally to Become US Citizens?"
“First, I am wholeheartedly against amnesty. I believe it is inherently unfair to give legal status to those whose first actions were to break our laws. Below are some of the initiatives I support to deter illegal immigration, increase interior enforcement and keep our border secure:
- Public Law 109-367 – The Secure Fence Act. Mandates the Department of Homeland Security to build 700 miles of fence on the southern border.
- Citizenship Reform. Denies citizenship to an individual born in the U.S. if both parents are illegal immigrants or do not reside in the U.S legally.
- English Only. Declares English the official language of the United States.
- No Credit Cards for Illegals. Requires the federal government and financial institutions to accept only secure forms of identification.
- No Social Security for illegal immigrants.
- No drivers’ licenses for illegal immigrants.
In 1996, I created the Basic Pilot Program, now known as E-Verify, which allows employers to check the legal status of new employees… I will be introducing a bill in the 112th Congress to make E-Verify mandatory for all employers. Until we cut off the magnet of jobs through employment verification, we will never truly have control of the problem.”
“Illegal Immigration,” calvert.house.gov (accessed Oct. 3, 2011)
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with advanced degrees in fields relevant to immigration. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to immigration.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- US House Representative (R-CA), Jan. 1993-present
- Member, US House Steering Committee
- Member, House Appropriations Committee’s Defense Subcommittee, Interior and the Environment Subcommittee, and Legislative Branch Subcommittee
- Former Ranking Member, House Appropriations Committee’s Select Intelligence Oversight Panel (SIOP)
- Former member, House Appropriations Committee’s Energy and Water Subcommittee and Homeland Security Subcommittee
- Former member, House Armed Services Committee
- Former Chair, House Science Committee’s Space and Aeronautics Subcommittee
- Former Chair, House Science Committee’s Energy and the Environment Subcommittee
- Former Chair, House Resources Committee’s Water and Power Subcommittee
- Former Chair, House Resources Committee’s Energy and Mineral Subcommittee
- Former member, House Agriculture Committee
- President and General Manager, Ken Calvert Real Properties, 1980-1991
- Employee, Marcus W. Meairs Company, 1979-1981
- General Manager, Jolly Fox Restaurant, 1975-1991
- Congressional intern, US Senate Watergate hearings, 1973
- BA, Economics, San Diego State University, 1975
- AA, Chaffey College, 1973
- Graduated, Corona High School, CA, 1971
- Intern/campaign worker, Office of US House Representative Victor Veysey (R-CA), 1970-1973
- Legal name is Kenneth S. Calvert
- Son of Ira Calvert, former city councilman, mayor and businessman in Corona, CA, and Marceline “Marsha” Calvert, former president of Soroptimist International of Corona and the Corona-Norco Republican Women
- Born in Corona, CA on June 8, 1953