- Governor of Ohio
- Con to the question "Should the Government Allow Immigrants Who Are Here Illegally to Become US Citizens?"
“I do think we need a fence. I think we need to control our border for sure. But if you’re a law-abiding person that has lived here, we’ll give you a path to legalization, not a path to citizenship. It is important that we control our border. We lock our doors so people don’t wander into our homes.
The country has a right to control its border, too. To say we’re going to pick 10 or 11 million people out and shove them out of here, do you remember after World War II when they imprisoned Japanese and what a dark spot, a dark stain on our history. The idea that we’re just going to deport all of these people is not going to happen. And it’s just not right.”
CNN, “SMERCONISH: GOP Pres. Candidate John Kasich on CNBC Debate Controversy; GOP Candidates Bash Liberal Media; Political Battle Over Not Prosecuting Cosby; Surviving Politics, TV, and Addiction. Aired 9-10a ET,” cnn.com, Oct. 31, 2015
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with advanced degrees in fields relevant to immigration. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to immigration.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Republican presidential candidate, July 21, 2015-present
- Governor, State of Ohio, Jan. 10, 2011-present
- Managing Director, Investment Banking Division, Lehman Brothers, 2001-2008
- Host, Heartland with John Kasich, FOX News, 2001-2007
- Guest Host, The O’Reilly Factor, FOX News, 2001-2009
- Honorary Chairman, Recharge Ohio, 2008
- Former Presidential Fellow, The Ohio State University
- Chairman, House Budget Committee, Jan. 3, 1995-Jan. 3, 2001
- US Representative, Ohio 12th District, Jan. 3, 1983-Jan. 3, 2001
- Administrative Assistant, Ohio State Senator Buz Lukens, 1975-1978
- Former Researcher, Ohio Legislative Service Commission
- Former Board Member, Invacare Corporation
- Former Board Member, Norvax
- BA, Political Science, The Ohio State University, 1974
- Kasich was the youngest state senator in Ohio history
- Quoted in: