- Domestic Policy Associate at Friends Committee on National Legislation (FCNL)
- Not Clearly Pro or Con to the question "Should the Government Allow Immigrants Who Are Here Illegally to Become US Citizens?"
“Over the past two years, the [Obama] administration has doubled down on policies aimed at deterring and punishing those seeking to migrate from Central America. Our government has flooded resources into detaining families and individuals seeking asylum, conducted enforcement surges that explicitly target recent border crossers such as unrepresented Central American mothers, and given conditional aid to Mexico to increase internal checkpoints and deportations before individuals reach the US-Mexico border.
The deterrence has not worked. What’s more, the efforts going into preventing refugees from reaching the US don’t acknowledge the responsibility we have to protect and promote the human rights of those displaced in our own hemisphere. The United States can do better.
The US should be prioritizing protection over detention, deportation, and deterrence strategies for Central Americans seeking refuge. Our domestic policies must better ensure full access to legal counsel, translation, and due process in asylum and immigration proceedings.”
“Living Our Values to Protect Central American Refugees,” fcnl.org, Sep. 19, 2016
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- Domestic Policy Associate, Friends Committee on National Legislation (FCNL), Aug. 2014-present
- Co-Chair, Interfaith Immigration Coalition
- Intern, Study the United States Institutes Program, Dialogue Institute, Temple University, June 2013-July 2013 and June 2014-Aug. 2014
- Research Assistant, Macalester College International Studies Department, Sep. 2013-May 2014
- Classroom Assistant, Amman National School, Sep. 2012-Dec. 2012
- Legal Aid Report Compiler, Arab Renaissance for Development and Democracy, Nov. 2012
- Counselor, Catoctin Quaker Camp, Baltimore Yearly Meeting, 2010-2012
- Outdoor Education and Ropes Course Facilitator, Westtown School, Sep. 2009-Aug. 2011
- BA, cum laude, Religious Studies, International Studies, and Arabic, Macalester College, 2014
- Attended Westtown School
- None Found
- Quoted in: