- US House Representative (R-CA)
- Con to the question "Should the Government Allow Immigrants Who Are Here Illegally to Become US Citizens?"
“To curb illegal immigration, we must enforce our immigration laws, stop providing benefits to illegal immigrants and stop waving the carrot of amnesty.
• Require employers to use EVerify, an easy-use, accurate, computer-based, employee verification system to ensure people have a legal right to work in the United States.
• Contact every person on the SSA list and every employer who employs a no-match worker, and give them 60 days to clear the discrepancy or lose the job.
• Have Immigration and Customs Enforcement follow up on every no-match worker and deport those here illegally.
• End sanctuary policies. U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder sued Arizona on the doctrine that federal law preempts local and state laws. To be consistent, he must sue every city and locality that provides sanctuary to illegal immigrants.
• Require all local and state law enforcement agencies to cooperate with immigration authorities to remove criminal illegal immigrants, including screening for legal status at local jails.
• End state policies, including that of California, of providing taxpayer-subsidized in-state college tuition for illegal immigrants. This is a matter of fairness as well as fiscal responsibility. Why should U.S. citizens or legal residents who have lived their whole lives in California be penalized for leaving the state for a year, when someone illegally in the country and in the state for a year gets a free ride?”
“American Jobs Must Be Reserved for Americans,” Thousand Oaks Acorn, July 29, 2010
- Theoretical Expertise Ranking:
Individuals with advanced degrees in fields relevant to immigration. Also top-level government officials (such as foreign leaders, US presidents, Founding Fathers, Supreme Court Justices, members of legislative bodies, cabinet members, military leaders, etc.) with positions relevant to immigration.
- Involvement and Affiliations:
- US House Representative (R-CA), Jan. 3, 1987-present
- Chair, US House Judiciary Committee’s Subcommittee on Immigration Policy and Enforcement, Jan. 7, 2011-present
- Vice Chair, House Foreign Affairs Committee
- Ranking Member, House Foreign Affairs Committee’s Subcommittee on Europe
- Co-chair, Congressional Animal Protection Caucus
- Chair, Congressional Task Force on Immigration Reform, 1995
- Former member, Permanent Select Committee on Intelligence and its Terrorism, Human Intelligence, Analysis and Counterintelligence Subcommittee
- Former Chair, House Committee on International Relations’ Subcommittee on International Terrorism, Nonproliferation and Human Rights
- Mayor, Simi Valley, CA, 1980-1986
- Chair, Ventura County Association of Governments, CA, 1983
- Member, Simi Valley City Council, CA, 1979
- Former real estate broker, Simi Valley, CA
- Attended California State University at Los Angeles, 1962-1963
- Graduated, Huntington Park High School, CA, 1962
- Named as one of the “Top 10 Illegal Immigration Hawks in Congress” by Human Events magazine, 2006
- Named 2010 Humane Legislator of the Year by the Humane Society of the United States, for animal rights advocacy and authoring the Animal Crush Video Prohibition Act of 2010
- Inducted into the US Border Control Hall of Fame
- Named as one of the “Top 10 Los Angeles Newsmakers of the Year” by the Los Angeles Daily News while Mayor of Simi Valley, CA
- Recipient, Gold Patrick Henry Award from the Military Order of the World Wars
- Born in the Los Angeles suburb of Huntington Park, CA on Mar. 7, 1944